Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A year ago today I was at Cannes, France, for my first day of work at the Cannes Film Festival for Cut Print Review (now Moviedex).


Getting used to the press area in the Palais

I was bombarded with a week’s worth of media info in my assigned locker already as I arrived at the start of week two.




What followed was a day of confusion as I got my bearings; the realisation that an hour wasn’t sufficient time to get into the hottest of screenings killed me (I missed The Artist which would haunt me until finally seeing it on a trip to Melbourne in March - 10 months later).
But the next week for me would ultimately be full of films, frenzied writing, meeting some awesome people and soaking up a bit of the French Riviera lifestyle, which I'll show you more of in an upcoming post because the region's one of my favourites anywhere.

I kept a blog for Cut Print Review at the time, posted on here so you could see the craziness of what I managed to squeeze out of the week. One of my life’s best experiences, confirming for me once more that journalism was what I wanted to pursue. Have also noted that this year's festival started today. Le sigh.
So to enter the mind of a crazed professional journalist-to-be at the world's biggest festival if you so dare...

Festival de Cannes: day one
Cannes Classics: Le Sauvage (1975)
Cannes Classics: Le voyage dans la lune
Festival de Cannes: day two
Festival de Cannes: days three-four
Festival de Cannes: five-seven
Here come the Cannes reviews
Almost the end of the road
Last lot of Cannes stuff - promise!

It never stopped being crazy.


Constant pleas for invites to red carpet events


Catherine Deneuve: beautiful in real life


After these I discovered Monoprix sold TimTams. Good times.


Overlooking Boulevard de la Croisette from an Aussie film
industry do I managed to (invitedly) sneak into




The red carpet's pretty grand...


Yes, I sat in on Ryan Gosling talking about Drive. Swoon.





Closing night party: just like the movies

-------

*I have two photos entered in the current Qatar Reflections competition. Please show your support for me by voting for either photo! Short backstory and links here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment