Sunday, May 06, 2012

Not me. But I was runner-up, so I got pretty close!

Photos: CHERYL BURKE, Daily Liberal

At this point in my life, after having moved from home and promising myself 2012 was going to be another adventure, the chance to become Dubbo Showgirl came along and I was encouraged to enter.

But what the hell was a showgirl?

I found out very quickly that these contests are taken very seriously as winners represent their city/town's annual show and help to promote it through their 12-month involvement. It's about understanding how agriculture affects your area, but also promoting how much effort goes into creating the event that showcases the best in everything from animals to cookery to crafts.

But on top of that it's just as much about promoting yourself and getting out there to network with people, so I thought "why not?" and took a chance. I didn't think it mattered that I was a newcomer to the city - figured I could always use a bit of self-promotion for that reason, and travelling to assist with other shows on top of Dubbo's sounded like a lot of fun.

To be completely honest, there were some awesome prizes involved too. Uh, holiday anyone?



The first and third placegetters, Kennedy and Sarah, were lovely and both around my age. I've detailed before how moving can take its toll socially, and it was nice to meet a couple of like-minded girls for a nice day out.

We were interviewed separately before being treated to a nice luncheon, and given our entrant sashes which were red.

A potential faux pas was dismissed as I was encouraged to still wear my red dress for the night presentation as I had planned.




Turns out that was eventually covered by a light blue one with some added bling which is awesome. I've never had a sash before, so to get two was a pretty big deal by night's end. The presentation, a cocktail party with family, friends and sponsors, was good fun. I believe I spoke well when briefly interviewed in front of the party and was glad that Jess and her friend Lorah visiting from Sydney came out as my support. I also found support later from others who congratulated me for stepping outside of my comfort zone, another example of the friendliness of the place.

I was relieved that the process was all within one day... and I'm so happy with this result. I'm still involved in the Dubbo Show to some degree with Kennedy (placing sashes on cattle was mentioned), so I'll be sure to write up on my involvement in two weeks time. And hey, I got sashes, gorgeous flowers and good (free) food. Good times :D

PS: Still found time on returning home to watch the Crows beat Sydney. Double win.

-------

*I have two photos entered in the current Qatar Reflections competition. Please show your support for me by voting for either photo! Short backstory and links here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment